Sunday, April 10, 2011

Infanta Margarita

This is a painting I have been wanting to pursue for a long time... a copy of the Infanta Margarita portrait from Velázquez's Las Meninas.  I have been intrigued by this portrait for quite some time, not only for the portrait itself, but for the extraordinary way that Velázquez handled the paint.  I can really look at his paintings for hours at a time and imagine in my mind the swift moves of his brush across the canvas.  They are so effortless, and almost appear to be a chaotic mess when you look at them up close.  And yet, though they may be spontaneous, each dab of paint is intentional.  This is what made this copy so challenging.  I tried as much as I could to imitate each scumbled brush stroke, but also at the same time to be as spontaneous as he was.  I can only hope I created a positive note on this master's legacy.

Infanta Margarita
Master copy after Velázquez
oil on canvas
20x16 inches
2011

Detail of Infanta Margarita
Detail of Infanta Margarita

No comments:

Post a Comment