Thursday, March 27, 2014

40 Days of Paintings - Cristo Crucificado (Velázquez)

I actually had a hard time deciding which painting by Velázquez to write about.  He's my favorite artist of all time, after all.  How do I choose?  I could have gone with "Las Meninas" because it is my favorite painting, but I know I've talked about it before.  I almost went with the "Coronation of the Virgin" too, which has a magnificent triangular composition, and beautiful use of color.  And there are so many others that I love, but I decided to go with "Christ on the Cross," or "Cristo Crucificado" because I see it as the essential devotional painting.  It has even inspired my own version of Christ on the Cross. 
Honestly, I could go on about Velázquez, but I have before.  I could go on about my thoughts of this painting, but I won't.  I'll just let you contemplate this image, because it is certainly what I need to do today.  He must increase, and I must decrease.

Cristo Crucificado
oil on canvas
1632

No comments:

Post a Comment