Monday, March 3, 2014

Art Shows, Lent, Classes, New Work

It seems like every time I get on here, I have a lot to talk about in regards to everything going on.  Probably because I haven't made it a habit to get on here as regularly as I should.  But that's all going to change this week with Lent.  More on that in a sec...
First, I have a bunch of art shows to promote!  First of all, coming up this weekend is the show I've participated in the most - The Blue Springs Art Show.  This is the 36th annual show, and my 5th time participating.  If you're in the KC area, please come out if you can!  As usual, I have my maximum 2 entries for this show, and they are both ready to go.  The show is this Saturday and Sunday, March 8-9.  I am hoping the weather doesn't do that thing that it usually has done with the Blue Springs show.  I can think of only 1 year where the weather was actually nice and didn't have even a hint of snow.  And as I look at the forecast right now, guess what it's saying for Saturday?  I'll give you a hint... Let's hope it's the opposite of what it's saying now.  I'm really praying for great things at this year's show, so I hope many of you can come out and see it!  It's open to the public on Saturday from 10-5, and Sunday from 11-4.


I have sent in my application for the Images Gallery Juried Show, and got confirmation that they received it.  Now it's just the waiting game to see if any of my paintings will get accepted.  I am hoping that all 5 of them will, but that is up to the juror.  The deadline for that application isn't until March 18, so I have a while to wait before I hear back about the fate of my pieces.

So the next show I need to tell everyone about is a little different from the other shows I've done.  This is The Art Event at KCC (Kansas City Christian School) in Prairie Village, Kansas on April 25-26.  It is actually a fundraising event for the school, so people come to this event ready and willing to buy art!  I'm just hoping that they'll be ready and willing to buy some of mine.  I was pretty attracted to this show at the sound of how hospitable it is toward the exhibiting artists, but then I read about its mission and purpose, and that made it even better.  It has an opening night party on Friday from 6-10pm, and I believe tickets for that are $15 in advance and $20 at the door.  Saturday is free and open to the public from 10am - 5pm.  I'm new to this show, but if you need more info, I can give you what I can.  Otherwise, they have more information at www.thearteventatkcc.org.  What I can tell you is that I will have many of my landscape paintings on display and wanting to sell!


Finally, I have to mention once again the Gamber Center Exhibition coming up!  The official dates for that will be May 1 - July 17.  There is still a whole lot for me to do with this show, and I had my first night of lost sleep due to it a few nights ago.  Nothing serious, but I had a lot of stuff going through my mind about what I still need to do, and mostly how to have a good, successful opening reception for it.  Again, if you are in the KC area, and even if you aren't, I hope you can make it to this - the biggest solo exhibition of my career up to this point.  Think of it as sort of a Greatest Hits of my work.  And by all means, if you would, help me get the word out about it!  Here is a little taste of the work I have planned for this exhibition:


Okay, enough about shows.  But as you can see I have a lot of them to get ready for.  Which is one reason I am not on my blog as much lately.  Anyway, I plan to be on here a lot more starting this week.  I mentioned before that I had an idea for Lent this year that would be similar to my 40 Days of Artists that I did a couple of years ago.  This time, I'll be doing 40 Days of Paintings.  Each day (minus Sundays) I will be writing a post on what I consider to be some of the greatest paintings in the history of art.  And they won't necessarily be what you might expect.  I'm sure when I mention names like Da Vinci, Raphael, Titian, Velazquez, Rembrandt, etc., there is probably a particular painting that comes to mind.  A work that they are known for.  Well, those works may or may not be the ones that I cover.  For some, they may be paintings that you've never seen or heard of.  For others, you may know them well and they might very well be some of your favorites too.  But for each painting I have in mind, I have a particular reason for it.  There is something about each painting that draws me to it, and that's what I'll be talking about each day.  40 Days of Paintings will start this week on Ash Wednesday, March 5th.

Okay, one more thing that pertains to my KC area friends.  I will be taking a break from teaching my painting class for the month of March.  But we will be starting it back up on Tuesday, April 1 and go until the last Tuesday in May, the 27th.  If any of you in the KC area would be interested in joining the class, please let me know soon!  Or if you know of someone that might be interested, let them know and have them contact me.  The class will be on Tuesdays from 6-9pm.  We will be covering lots of things from grisaille to Zorn palette painting, alla prima, master copies, and painting a portrait from the live model.  Again, for more info please contact me!

I didn't have much to say about new work, except that it's coming soon!  By the way, as just a reminder and for those of you unaware, I do have an Ebay page where I sell some of my work.  Right now I have close to 30 paintings listed, and I can tell you now that they are listed at the cheapest prices you will ever see my work for sale.  So I encourage you all to check it out!  I only sell and ship within the U.S.  Click HERE to go to Ebay.

That's all for now.  More to come this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment