Thursday, April 2, 2015

News from the Studio 4/2/15

Greetings,

Well, a lot's happened in the past month, so let's get to it...

March began with the Blue Springs Fine Art Show, and a fine one it was.  As usual, I had two paintings in the show, as did everyone.  And to my surprise and delight, both pieces won awards.  Abbey's portrait took home the 2nd place award for the Portrait category, and my other painting called Intermission was awarded 3rd Place Best of Show, and went on to hang at Blue Springs City Hall for a few weeks.  No complaints here, I had a great year at Blue Springs!


But really, that's gotta be one of my favorite pictures of Abbey.. glad you could make it to the show, little Sis!
And speaking of Abbey's portrait, it has also now been officially accepted into the Images Gallery 11th Annual Juried Exhibition coming up this month!  That along with two smaller nature paintings of mine.  This will be my third year doing the Images show, and hopefully 3rd time will be a charm.  It's a tough show to win any of the main awards, and I have yet to do so.  We'll see what happens.  The Images show opens Friday, April 17th with the reception at 6:00pm.  The awards announcement comes at 7:00pm.  Hope to see some of you there!


As for current shows happening, I am the featured artist at Got Art Gallery in Lee's Summit right now for the figurative and portrait exhibition Head to Toe:  Art of the Human Form.  The show opened on March 27th for 2015's first official Fourth Friday in Downtown Lee's Summit.  I am also honored to be accompanied by two other great artists in the Lee's Summit area for this show - Teddy Jackson and John Ulett.  I hope you all will have the opportunity to check out this show before it comes down April 20th.  You won't want to miss it!  Here's a little sneak peek:



I am also looking forward to First Friday in May when I'll be heading out to the Crossroads Art District in Downtown Kansas City for my first Crossroads show at David Jones Gallery.  It's sneaking up on me, but hopefully I'll be able to show a few new pieces at that show.  I'm anxious to see how a new, non-Lee's Summit/Blue Springs audience will respond to my work.  Let's hope with money, ahem ahem.

There is still plenty of room for anyone wanting to sign up for my workshop!!  I cannot promise that I will offer another one through Summit Art after this.  At least not for quite awhile.  It depends on how this one goes.  You might want to jump on this one if you're able.  Please sign up at gotartgallery.org or call 816-600-5932.  Don't miss out on this!


So in other news, a week after the Blue Springs show, I had the wonderful opportunity to join a small group of students from my church for a Spring Break mission trip to a beautiful place called Chablekal, Yucatán, México.  I had heard the stories from last year's trip, and I found myself saying the exact same things when I got home from this year's trip.  The best way I can describe the experience is to say that it's like meeting long lost family that you never knew you had.  I regret to say I wasn't very good at taking pictures on the trip.  It seemed like we were always busy doing something, so taking out my phone for pictures didn't happen much.  I hardly got to do any sketching either.  But one thing is for sure, it's an experience fresh in my mind, and I sincerely hope to return again next year.


Well, as for new work, I had to take a break during and after Mexico for a bit.  But I am back to work now.  I've considered the idea of doing some Chablekal-inspired work.  But if I do, it will probably not be happening for several months.  Right now, I'm working on a couple of projects.  One of them being the largest nature painting I've ever done.  And the way it's progressing, I should have it finished by 2016.  No, seriously.

Finally, I began a new painting series just this week.  I won't say much about it except that it features real people, raw and unfiltered.  I don't know them nor have I met any of them.  But it taps into the heart of what I believe is true realism.  Here is a glimpse of the first piece of the series:


And with that, hope you'll stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment