Monday, June 26, 2017

News From The Studio 6/26/17

Hello friends,

It's time for an update from the studio, so here it goes:
  • Today was the final deadline for members of National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society to apply for representation at RS Hanna Gallery from September - December.  They extended the deadline an entire month, so I've been waiting that long to find out if I've been accepted.  We'll be hearing from them later this week.  I am nervous either way, because if I'm rejected it'll be a huge bummer.  But if I'm accepted, then I have a lot of work ahead of me to prepare for it.  This is one of the biggest leaps I've taken in a while, and probably my biggest to date.  I need prayer!
  • I am working on so many projects right now, it's a little ridiculous.  I have a new series called Imago Dei, which is a series of figure paintings.  I am also going to be working on a few small works to submit for a NOAPS small works exhibition coming up later this year as well.  I'm really hoping to get into that exhibition because it is going to be showing at my friend Cathy Kline's gallery in Parkville, Missouri.  The trick is to create some particularly outstanding small paintings.  If there's one thing I know about small works, it's that they have to stand out to be noticed.  They have to be exceptional, and that's what I think is going to make this a tough exhibition to get into.  Of course, that's true of any show, but a small works show for sure.
  • So speaking of my Imago Dei series, I've had a bit of a frustrating experience today.  But, I suppose I should welcome myself to the club.  That is, the club for artists who have had artwork censored from Facebook.  Apparently, I am so good at figure paintings that Facebook decided to remove an image of one of my Imago Dei paintings today.  And here it is:
Imago Dei - Balance
oil on canvas
36x24 inches
  • I've decided I'm going to let Facebook have this one... for now.  I may upload it again later, but what for?  I realize full well that works of fine art such as paintings and sculptures depicting the nude figure do not violate their community standards regarding nudity.  It states that explicitly, in fact.  But I am not the only artist to experience this.  Lo and behold, just as I had to deal with this today, I was scrolling through Facebook and saw another artist dealing with the same thing.  And then another artist.  What's the deal, Facebook?  You like censoring art now?  Whatever.
  • Anyway, moving on... in case you didn't notice, I have begun to revive my YouTube channel, and I've posted a bunch of new vlogs over the past several weeks.  They are all posted here on my blog.  And if you haven't yet, please go over to my YouTube channel and subscribe so you can be among the first to see my new vlogs as I post them!  I am currently working on a short series of videos discussing my Stages of Oil Painting, in which I show you each of the different stages that I go through to create an oil painting in the traditional, indirect approach.  They are pretty brief overviews of the process, and not full tutorials on how I do the painting.  I have also recently started a series looking at my art book collection, and talking about which books I recommend for artists, and why they are so resourceful.  This is just the beginning.  I have several more ideas for upcoming vlogs, so please subscribe!!  http://www.youtube.com/c/ryandelgadoart
  • Remember First Friday coming up in the Crossroads in KC on July 7th!  Again, I am showing at Jones Gallery at 1717 Walnut.  Stay tuned for future updates, as I have another First Friday opening in the Crossroads coming up in January 2018 that will be literally only a block away from Jones.  More to come later on that show!

That's all the news for now.  Again, wish me luck this week on that RS Hanna Gallery representation!  Thanks everyone, more to come soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment