Tuesday, April 17, 2018

New Gallery Representation - 2010 Gallery

Friends,

I am so excited to announce that I am now represented by 2010 Gallery, located in Prairie Village, Kansas!  I currently have 5 pieces available from my painting series God Breathed.  I am very honored and blessed to have this opportunity, and I hope all of you here in the KC area will stop by this great gallery and check out my work, and the other outstanding works surrounding it.  2010 Gallery is located at 9415 Nall Ave. in Prairie Village, and is open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.

Speaking of which, I am also blessed to have my work showing alongside that of the late Mark Weber, who passed away on December 14th, 2017.  In a way, I have Mark to thank for being in this gallery and for many of the opportunities I've had over the past year.



I didn't know Mark very well.  I only met him a couple of times.  But both times had an impact, and I walked away from our conversations with a lot to think about.  He was that kind of guy.  In his wisdom and advise, he seemed to know exactly what to say to both push and inspire.  At least for me, he did.

The last time I saw Mark was about a year ago.  He was the juror for the Images Art Gallery Juried Show in Overland Park, KS.  Mark honored me with the Best of 2D award at this show for my painting The Crusader (among my five works now at 2010 Gallery).  After the awards ceremony, I was getting ready to leave, but first wanted to shake Mark's hand and thank him for the award.  Of course, he kept me for a little bit to chat.  He seemed to be the kind of guy that just wanted to converse with you.  Especially if he saw something special in you and your work.  I remember two questions in particular that he asked me.

"Are you showing in any other galleries?"  To that, I said yes.  I had been at Jones Gallery in the Crossroads for two years at that time.  Without missing a beat, Mark asked me a follow-up question.

"Are you selling?"  With some reservation, I said, "Yeah, I've sold a few pieces since I've been there, and a few others from other places."  Which was true, of course.  I only wish I could have had a more enthusiastic answer.

I am certain that Mark saw right through me.  From there, he basically told me that my work was too good not to be doing better than it is.  And that it was time to get my work into some more galleries, including those outside of Kansas City.  He went on to tell me some funny stories of how he went about doing that himself... some rather unconventional approaches about which I won't go into detail.

So like I said, I went home with a lot on my mind.  The bottom line was it was time to break through that comfort zone.  That Kansas City-shaped bubble I was in.  A few months later, the opportunity to show in a gallery in Fredericksburg, TX came along.  It would become my first major national show.  Around the same time came another national show in Parkville, MO.  Unfortunately, neither opportunity paid off as I hoped they would.  Yet, Mark's inspiring wisdom and advise have stuck with me.  And nearly one year to the day after our conversation at Images Gallery, I am showing in a gallery alongside his magnificent work.  And I look forward to what's to come from here.

Glory to God in the highest.  You have given me so much, after You have given me so much.





No comments:

Post a Comment