Sunday, August 19, 2018

News from the Studio 8/19/18

Hello!  Here is the latest from the studio:


  • This weekend, August 17-18 was the Raytown Artists' Association Invitational show, one of the local shows I enjoy participating in each year.  I did not come home this weekend with any awards, but it certainly was no loss at all because I just happened to sell one of my paintings (which, at the end of the day, is the primary goal for me).  So it was a really great weekend, and the show itself was quite good this year.  The painting I sold was a landscape piece called Greater Light, and it just happened to be this painting's first (and now, only) showI did this piece just a few months ago, and I couldn't be happier to pass it along to a new home.




  • The other two paintings from this weekend are still available, if anyone is interested.  It was also the first show for these two pieces - another landscape piece called Floodgates and a humble child portrait called Contemplating Heaven.  Please inquire at ryandelgadoart@gmail.com.
Floodgates
oil on canvas
14x18"
$800

Contemplating Heaven
oil on panel
12x9"
$650
  • New work in my God Breathed series is well underway.  Since my last blog, I have finished two more paintings and I have another currently in progress.  I am excited for what is to come!
Refiner's Fire (Zechariah 13:9, Malachi 3:2-5)
oil on linen
30x22"
Available, $4000.  Please inquire at ryandelgadoart@gmail.com

Scarlet (Isaiah 1:18-20, Mark 2:17)
oil on linen
20x16"
Available, $1500.  Please inquire at ryandelgadoart@gmail.com
  • Refiner's Fire - I mentioned this piece in my previous blog post as it was in progress.  It has to do with God's way of refining us into the creation we are meant to be in His eyes and according to His will and purpose.  And that often means burning away the impurities.  I will always remember being in my ceramics class in college, and listening to our instructor talk about the refining process with clay.  The reason we have to fire clay before we apply a glaze to it is because putting clay through fire strengthens it.  Before it is fired, a clay pot is still very fragile especially when it has only air-dried.  Firing it burns away all the impurities, and leaves behind the substance that matters.  On the flip side, firing metal in a forge softens it so it can be reshaped.  This is the image of the Refiner's fire - It softens us when we're too hard and it strengthens us when we're too soft.
  • Scarlet - Along similar lines, this painting is about the nature of sin.  Sin is like a parasite, or a disease that spreads in and through us.  It surrounds us, and we cannot detach ourselves from it without our Savior.  Jesus talks about how healthy people don't need a physician.  They don't need healing.  The ones Jesus came for were the sinners.  But in order to be healed, one must also acknowledge that they are sick.  And in order to be redeemed, we must acknowledge that we are sinners in need of the one and only Redeemer that can save us and make our crimson stains as white as snow.
  • I will be returning with a new vlog on YouTube soon.  I'll be doing a video on how to mount canvas onto a panel for smaller paintings.  I've done a few panels already, and they've worked very well so far.  Stay tuned for that video soon!

  • The next show that I am currently eyeballing is the State of the Arts show in Prairie Village, Kansas in October.  I was juried into that show last year, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I am hoping to get into that show again this year, and the deadline to enter is approaching soon.  As I said, I am current in progress on a new painting, and hoping to finish it before the entry deadline on September 4.  Stay tuned for more news on this and other shows coming up!
  • That is all for now.  Stay tuned for more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment