Thursday, January 19, 2012

Portrait of a Lady

Hello all... here is the latest from the studio.  I was reminded of a painting I did last year as I was working on this one - the Infanta Margarita.  This had to do with the painting of the dress... and how messy and loosely I was able to paint it.  It was one of those things that Velázquez did when he painted fabric and clothing with elaborate designs that is visually mind-boggling.  Capturing a certain texture could somehow be done by throwing spontaneous, yet intentional goobers of paint on the canvas.  Just like that, it comes together and just makes sense.  So once again, I tried to exploit that technique in this painting, while being a bit more deliberate with the painting of her face and skin.

Portrait of a Lady
oil on canvas
20x16
2012

No comments:

Post a Comment