Friday, May 2, 2014

The Gamber Center Exhibition - The Aftermath

Well, last night was the opening of my biggest exhibition ever at the Gamber Center.  For those that came out to the opening, again I thank you humbly.  For those that have yet to see it, it is showing through July 17th.


I won't lie, way too many of you missed the opening last night, but I am so thankful for the crowd that did show up in support of me.  You are the reason I work as hard as I do.  And it was worth it to see you all there.

I was a bit under the weather, and about to lose my voice, so I apologize for those who came expecting me to give a presentation.  Honestly, I was happier anyway just to mingle with everyone and let you all enjoy the show.  Most of the Lee's Summit Arts Council members rushed out of there anyway for a city council meeting that was so inconveniently scheduled on the same night.  But not before one of the best moments of the night happened, when the Chairwoman of the LSAC looked me straight in the eye and said,
"You are the best artist we have ever had at the Gamber Center."
The compliment stuck with me all night.  First of all, what an extraordinary thing to say, and to say it with complete conviction like it was a matter of fact.  But then I kept thinking, "So... what does this mean for me?"  It's certainly one of, if not the absolute best compliment I've ever received.  But will the public agree with her?  And if so, will it pay off in the literal sense?  I sure hope so, but it also scares me to think that I might be let down.  I have learned through so many experiences not to get my hopes up and set my expectations high.  But if I don't do that, then I run into the danger of settling for mediocrity.  See how hard this business is, folks?

Well, another thing I know about myself is that I have a tendency to overthink and worry about things.  All I can hope and pray for is that God's hand is in this, and for some kind of wonderful blessing and favor to come out of this exhibition in the next couple of months.  The fact that my work is exhibiting in such a beautiful facility at all is a blessing.  Please go check it out if you are in the Kansas City area.  In the meantime, here are a couple of glimpses of the show.



 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment