Saturday, October 4, 2014

First Look at Mason's Senior Portrait

Happy October everyone!

Well, that is especially true if you are a Kansas City Royals fan right now.  Wow, as of right now (10/4/14), they are 2-0 in the post-season ALDS against the Angels.  Apparently, they've been using live chickens (a Major League reference, for those who don't watch good movies).

Anyway...

So I can't believe it, but it's only been a week since I began painting Mason, a senior in high school this year who decided he wasn't going to have any senior photo sessions.  So his parents (his mom mainly) asked me if I would paint his portrait as an alternative to that, and of course it was my pleasure!  So last Friday, September 26, I went over to their home and had a near 4-hour painting session with Mason, with his mom, brother, and sister occasionally peeking over my shoulder and taking in-progress pictures.  It was so much fun!


Here's Mason taking a break after the first 20-minutes, in which I sketched out a quick drawing with raw umber.
The lighting was actually a lot more challenging than I thought it would be at first.  I ended up using natural light through their window, but then also a lamp that I brought with me that gives off a warm light.  So I had both the cool light from the window and the warm light from my lamp, giving me dual light sources competing with each other.  But it worked out great in the end.


This is maybe an hour into the painting.  The early stages of color were pretty tough, given the dualing lights.  Part of his face was being lit by a strong cool light, and the other part by a moderate warm light.  So basically I had a lot of strong reds and pinks, particularly on his nose and forehead, and then some immediate bright blue-whites highlighting his cheek, neck and ear.


And like I said, I decided to end Mason's torture after about 4 hours.  I came to a good stopping point where I could get a picture of Mason in the pose, and finish the portrait back at the studio.  I worked on it a little bit each day, doing some glazes and re-working a few areas, and managed to finish it yesterday, one week after the life painting session.  Above is the first look at the finished piece.  Mason's mom has already seen the full painting via cell phone picture.  As soon as the painting is in their hands, I will post the full painting for all to enjoy!  But don't hold your breath, that's still about a month away.  But I hope you all enjoy what you see for now.  And once again, if you have a high school senior (or soon-to-be senior) in your family, please contact me about doing their senior portrait!  I would love to do it!  Message me at ryandelgadoart@gmail.com for details!

No comments:

Post a Comment