Monday, January 31, 2022

YouTube Video: How To Clean Brushes Without Solvent

Today I posted a new video on YouTube on how I clean my oil painting brushes without the use of mineral spirits or solvents of any kind.

I started doing this about 2 years ago because I simply wanted to significantly reduce the amount of mineral spirits that I use in my studio.  Mineral spirits, such as Gamsol that I use, aren't necessarily a bad thing and they can be used safely as long as you have decent ventilation in your studio.  But I honestly hate using it as a brush cleaner.  Not just for my health and safety, but for the brush's health as well.  I use a lot of natural hair brushes such as hog and sable, which need care and conditioning in order to maintain their longevity.  So I started using a different approach, using different materials for cleaning my brushes.  Today, I only use Gamsol very minimally as a painting medium mixed with walnut oil during my underpainting stage.  

Check out the brush-cleaning video below!





No comments:

Post a Comment